1. Sea otters hold hands when they sleep to keep from drifting apart.
2. When you were born, you were, for a moment, the youngest person on earth.
3. The elements that we are composed of were formed in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are all made of star dust.
4. Cows have best friends.
5. A prison in Washington pairs up “death row” shelter cats with select inmates as part of a rehabilitation program. It seems to be a pretty wonderful thing for both the inmates and the cats.
6. Blind people smile even though they’ve never seen anyone else smile.
7. Turtles can breathe through their butts.
8. The Beatles used the word “love” 613 times in their songs.
9. Squirrels plant thousands of new trees each year simply by forgetting where they put their acorns.
10. Macaques in Japan use coins to buy vending machine snacks.
11. A BBC News program broadcast in 1957 ended claiming that spaghetti grew on trees on a farm in Switzerland. Many viewers believed the report and called the BBC asking how to grow their own trees. Their response: “Place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best.”
12. Norway knighted a penguin.
13. In China, killing a Panda is punishable by death.
14. Rats laugh when tickled.
15. The voices of Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse got married in real life.
16. Spiders can’t fly.
17. Sweden has a rabbit show jumping competition called Kaninhoppning.
18. Gentoo penguins propose to their lifemates with a pebble.
19. Dolphins have names for each other.
20. Kissing burns 2 calories a minute. Undressing burns 8.
21. Puffins mate for life. They make their homes on cliff sides and even leave some separate room for their toilet.
22. The Kingdom of Bhutan uses “Gross National Happiness” as an important national measurement.
23. When playing with female puppies, male puppies will often let them win, even if they have a physical advantage.
24. Good news is more likely to be shared through social media than bad news (wink wink, nudge nudge).
25. Oops! We’re missing one. What other happy facts do you know?