Hot chiles, mild pepper, onion, garlic, and cheddar cheese combine for spicy flavors.
Serves 2 (easily doubled)
Ingredients for omelet
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- toasted English muffins, for serving (optional)
Preparation for omelet
- Foe omelet heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the jalapeno, garlic, bell pepper, onion, oregano, and cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the same skillet and swirl to coat. Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet and gently tilt it back and forth for even spreading. Season with salt and pepper. While the eggs begin to set, whisk the remaining 2 eggs in the same small bowl.
- Continue to tilt the skillet until the bottom of the eggs begin to set, with the top still a bit runny, about 1 minute.
- Spread half the vegetable mixture over one half of the eggs. Sprinkle one half of the cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Carefully slide a spatula underneath the opposite side of the eggs and fold over. Press gently with the spatula to help melt the cheese and finish setting the eggs.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet and repeat with the remaining eggs, vegetables, and cheese.
To serve, place 1 omelet on each of 2 plates. Sprinkle with sea salt. Serve toasted muffins alongside, if desired.